U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents may bring their family relatives to the U.S. to become U.S. lawful permanent residents, including:

  • S. citizen’s immediate relatives (spouse, unmarried child under 21 years of age and parents).
  • F1 preference: U.S. citizen’s unmarried children 21 years of age and older.
  • F2A preference: Lawful permanent resident’s spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age.
  • F2B preference: Lawful permanent resident’s unmarried children 21 years of age and older.
  • F3 preference: U.S. citizen’s married children.
  • F4 preference: U.S. citizen’s brothers and sisters.

How to Apply

The U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative for the foreign relatives. Form I-485 Adjustment of Status can be filed concurrently with Form I-130 if the visas are available to the foreign relative who is in the U.S. If the foreign relative is abroad, a consular processing is required for the application of an immigrant visa. The National Visa Center will review and send the immigrant visa application to the designated U.S. consulate abroad, where hosts the visa interview. An immigrant visa will be issued for the entry to the U.S. as a permanent resident.

Family Derivatives Green Card

Spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 of the foreign relative may be eligible for green card application as derivatives. They will file separate Form I-485 in the U.S. or immigrant visa application abroad.